UPDATE: City fire marshal says cause of Greenville apartment fire is accidental

UPDATE: City fire marshal says cause of Greenville apartment fire is accidental

The city fire marshal says the fire started on the bottom floor apartment complex building.

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WITN) – Fire officials say they found the cause of a detrimental Greenville apartment building fire that was left heavily damaged in a Thursday afternoon fire.

The fire broke out around 4:25 p.m. at Westpointe Apartments off Stantonsburg Road.

The Greenville City Fire Marshal Bryant Beddard says the fire started on the bottom floor of the two-story apartment complex building.

Beddard says it was caused by unattended cooking and was determined to be accidental.

Flames were through the roof of one apartment building that has at least eight apartments. A large part of the roof has collapsed.

The fire broke out around 4:25 p.m.

The fire broke out around 4:25 p.m.

Three aerial fire trucks were putting water on fire when WITN arrived. The smoke and flames from the fire could be seen from across town.

Resident Carlos Boyd who said he lives in apartment 6 on the second floor said he was playing a video game when he smelled smoke. Boyd said he then looked out the window, saw smoke grabbed everything he could, and hurried to get out.

Flames & smoke from the apartment fire.

Flames & smoke from the apartment fire.

Battalion Chief David Brown said that the fire was mostly out around 6:30 p.m. with crews still hitting hot spots.

Brown said that he is not aware of any injuries and that several residents had been displaced.

The American Red Cross was helping those affected by the fire.

Facebook