Space heater blamed for downtown Goldsboro structure fire

Space heater blamed for downtown Goldsboro structure fire

The fire damaged the apartment area of the building and displaced seven people.

GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WITN) – A space heater is responsible for damage caused by a structure fire in downtown Goldsboro Thursday, according to fire officials.

Firefighters say the blaze happened around 3:15 p.m. Thursday afternoon at 122 1/2 N. Center Street in Goldsboro when someone put a space heater too close to flammable materials.

Firefighters say that they arrived at the scene by 3:18 p.m. to find smoke coming from the second story with three people hanging out the front windows of the second floor of the building.

Firefighters say they were able to use ladders to help get all three people to safety. Firefighters called the fire under control shortly after 4 p.m. Heavy damage to the upstairs apartment area of the building could be seen.

Three occupants were taken to UNC Health Wayne by Wayne County EMS and no Fire Department injuries were reported.

According to firefighters, the two-alarm fire displaced seven people who they say are being assisted by the Wayne County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Firefighters say the fire was accidental.

Firefighters say that a space heater placed too close to flammable material caused a structure fire in Goldsboro on Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters say that a space heater placed too close to flammable material caused a structure fire in Goldsboro on Thursday afternoon.

Facebook