WILLIAMSTON, N.C. (WITN) – The owner of an Eastern Carolina barbeque restaurant that will soon be featured on a social media food show is seeking to have multiple shoplifting charges dropped against him.
Gary Manning, owner of Shaw’s Bar-B-Que in Williamston, was featured Wednesday night on a WITN story about the restaurant.
WITN has since learned that Manning was charged last year with more than ten counts of misdemeanor larceny, accusing him of stealing more than $1,200 worth of “seafood, dairy and preserved food” from the Walmart in Williamston.
Court records show that in December a District Court judge agreed to a conditional discharge of the charges if Manning completes 12 months of supervised probation, pays Walmart $1,281.02 in restitution, and pays a $1,000 fine.
Manning said he has paid restitution and said in a statement that what happened was a mistake and an oversight. He said his restaurant continues to use Walmart daily, spending lots of money there.
“This has been a nightmare that seems to never end,” Manning said in an email to WITN.
Manning is set to appear in court on December 18th, and if everything is completed, court officials say the charges will probably be dismissed.