PINE KNOLL SHORE, N.C. (WITN) – The North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores will close its marsh boardwalk, overlooks, outdoor habits, and nature play area behind the aquarium through spring.
The aquarium says Admired Builders from Kinston will replace all deck boards with water-resistant composite materials with longevity. Handrails and other repairs will happen during this process.
The aquarium highlights these alternative activities while the boardwalk remains closed:
- Tree-mendous Play Area: Guests with children who want to play can visit the Imagination Bay indoor play area across from the Gift Shop. The Discovery Classroom is also open for crafts and activities at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. daily. Educators offer a special Toddler Time program at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays featuring a different aquatic theme each week.
- Snakes: Hidden Inhabitants: While the outdoor snake pavilion will not be accessible to the public, reptile lovers can view corn snakes and Northern pine snakes inside the Bear Creek Farm habitat.
- Outdoor box turtle habitat: Many habitats throughout the Aquarium feature turtles native to North Carolina. Inside, guests can pay a visit to diamondback terrapins, freshwater turtles including spiny softshell and yellow-eared sliders, a large snapping turtle, and a juvenile loggerhead sea turtle.
- Eagle Landing: Fans of our feathered friends can peek at two Eastern screech owls in the Piedmont Gallery.
- Alice Hoffman Nature Trail: The Aquarium is fortunate to have two nature trails to walk. While the Alice Hoffman Nature Trail is unavailable, guests can still hike along the Theodore Roosevelt Natural Area nature trail.
“The marsh boardwalk has been a way for our guests, staff, and volunteers to connect with the nature we have right in our backyards,” said aquarium director Clint Taylor. “It allows for extraordinary scenic views in event photography, provides a window into the life found in the Bogue Sound estuaries, and leads guests to many of the aquarium’s outdoor areas. Renovating the boardwalk will enhance our visitors’ overall experience.”