‘Operation Firecracker Booze It & Lose It’ campaign underway

RALEIGH, N.C. (WITN) – Law enforcement is ramping up efforts to keep drunk drivers off the roadways as we approach Independence Day celebrations.

The ‘Operation Firecracker Booze It & Lose It’ campaign starts Monday and runs until July 7. Drivers will find increased patrols and checkpoints across North Carolina to combat impaired driving.

“Celebrating this time of year often involves alcohol, which can lead to additional impaired driving crashes,” said Mark Ezzell, director of the North Carolina Governor’s Highway Safety Program. 

Ezzell said last year, 388 people died in crashes involving alcohol.

The DOT reported that the alcohol-related crashes totaled 162 and four fatalities during the Fourth of July weekend in 2023.   

For more information on the campaign, visit NCDOT’s website.

Facebook