NEW INFO: Cause of Pitt Co. home fire that killed a couple released

PITT COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) – Authorities say a man and a woman killed in a Friday morning house fire in Pitt County died of smoke inhalation.

Fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. at the home on Highway 43 near MacGregor Downs Road.

Officials confirmed with the State Fire Marshal’s Office that the cause of the fire was electrical.

The victims have been identified as 69-year-old George Johnson III and 70-year-old Cheryl Johnson.

Multiple agencies were involved in the investigation.

The Red Oak Fire Department, Bell Arthur Fire Department, Winterville Fire-Rescue-EMS, Falkland Fire Department, Staton House Fire Department, Ayden Fire Department, and several EMS units all responded to the fire.