NEW BERN, N.C. (WITN) -An Eastern Carolina city will activate its holiday task force Friday.
New Bern police’s holiday task force specifically patrols heavily trafficked areas during the holiday season.
It’s composed of patrol and traffic enforcement officers and other police forces looking to deter crime while the community is out shopping.
They’ll be active until New Year’s Day.
Officers offer the following safety reminders:
- Plan your shopping routes wisely.
- Try to purchase expensive items such as electronics or very large items on your last stop so that you can avoid driving around with the items visible in your car.
- Do not leave valuables in your car – secure them in your trunk.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Do not leave your vehicle running while unattended.
- Carry a limited number of credit cards and cash.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police.
- Do not buy more than you can carry. Plan ahead by taking a friend with you or ask a store employee to help you carry your packages to the car.
- If you are shopping with children, make a plan to meet back in a specific location in case you are separated from each other.