Grifton couple loses everything in early morning fire

GRIFTON, N.C. (WITN) – A couple in one Eastern Carolina town is now without a home after a fire early this morning.

“I’m glad we’re alive because I think even the inspector said a few more minutes, and we probably wouldn’t have woken up,” said Anthony Everett.

Just a few minutes could have been the difference between life and death for Everett and his wife after their Grifton house caught fire.

“It was quite a bit of fire. It spread from one end of the house to the other, so it took us quite a bit to actually get it under control. I would say probably about 5:30, a good knock on it,” said Chief Justin Johnson with the Grifton Volunteer Fire Department.

The call came into the fire department around 4:30 to the home on Brassie Drive. Crews were still working on hot spots when WITN was there around 11 a.m.

“Don’t know if I woke up or if I was already awake, but you couldn’t see 6 inches in front of you in the whole house,” said Everett.

Everett lived at home with his wife, Sam, and their two pets.

“Our dog, which was like our baby, she didn’t… I tried to go back in and get her, and you couldn’t breathe at that point. I mean, you couldn’t move in there,” said Everett.

Unfortunately, both their cat and dog still haven’t been found, and with the holidays right around the corner, they are forced to put the celebrations on hold.

“My wife said she brought me a PlayStation VR 2 for Christmas, but I mean, everything burnt up, so Christmas is sorta on the back burner right now,” said Everett.

Evertt’s message to everyone is to be careful and know your way out in case of a fire.

“If this happens, get out of the house quick because I shouldn’t have gone back in because I had to crawl on the floor to get back out. I shouldn’t have gone back in,” said Everett.

One of the couple’s neighbors already started a GoFundMe page for them, which you can view here. But Everett says he really does not know where to start or what he needs most right now.

The fire is still under investigation, but Everett told WITN the inspector said it looked like the fire started somewhere on the bottom of the house.

Facebook