Greenville fire that destroyed student housing started in trash can

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WITN) – A fire that destroyed a home occupied by college students Wednesday morning has been ruled an accident.

People walking by the Shady Lane home alerted those inside, according to Greenville Fire/Rescue. Shady Lane is on the edge of East Carolina University’s campus.

Some 20 firefighters brought the fire under control in 20 minutes and the four people who lived there are being assisted by ECU.

Investigators say the fire began in a trash can on the front porch. It contained thrown-away materials that had been burned earlier in the morning, a fire department news release said.

One resident was treated for minor injuries and eventually transported to Vidant Medical Center.

Copyright 2021 WITN. All rights reserved.

Facebook