Early morning fire breaks out at ECU student living complex

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WITN) – An apartment complex for students was evacuated early Sunday morning after a building burst into flames.

Greenville Fire crews were called there around 4:30 a.m. They saw fire coming through the roof of at least one of the buildings.

One resident told WITN that a car ran through a parking spot, over the curb, and straight into an air conditioning unit which caused the building to catch fire.

The resident also said the fire spread up the side of the building, causing a portion of the roof to collapse.

Fire crews say the fire took about 45 minutes to be put out. It affected six units – three with fire damage and all six with water damage.

Jessica Blackwell, a spokesperson for Greenville Fire, said 21 residents have to find another place to stay. Property management is working with them to find temporary housing.

Blackwell said no one was hurt. She credits the working fire alarms and sprinkler systems in the building for waking residents up and helping slow the fire. She said more people would likely have been hurt, had it not been for those features.

A Greenville Police spokesperson said they are working on compiling details about the driver who hit the air conditioning unit. This story will be updated once that information is received.