Beaufort County man found with explosives now under $1 million bond

Beaufort County man found with explosives now under $1 million bond

A judge also ordered Cameron Smith not to possess any weapons, firearms, or explosives if he is released from jail.

WASHINGTON, N.C. (WITN) – A man found last week with explosives is now under a $1 million bond.

A Beaufort County District Court judge yesterday gave Cameron Smith the high bond and ordered the man not to possess any weapons, firearms, or explosives if he is released from jail.

Smith was arrested after a deputy found him passed out last Wednesday night in his SUV at a shopping center parking lot in Washington.

The man was charged with possession of weapons of mass destruction, possession of meth, possession of drug paraphernalia, and possession of a concealed handgun.

The next day, deputies and the SBI bomb squad searched Smith’s Harvey Road home into the night.

The bomb squad robot was used to search Cameron Smith's home.

The bomb squad robot was used to search Cameron Smith’s home.

Sheriff Scott Hammonds said they collected over 50 pieces of evidence at the home that are linked to pipe bombs and improvised explosive devices.

While the sheriff said last week they were still trying to find out if Smith was a hobbyist or a radical, after the search of his home Hammonds was concerned that Smith was a little more than a hobbyist.

As of this morning, there have been no additional charges filed against the man.

Facebook