Ayden family of five loses everything in Christmas night fire

AYDEN, N.C. (WITN) – Firefighters are investigating a fire that destroyed a home Christmas night where five people lived.

The home on Lee Street in downtown Ayden caught fire around 11:15 p.m. last night.

“Starts feeling a little hot in the kitchen, I’m looking around, seeing if the stove is on or something – no stove on. Then one of my friends who stays behind me, he was outside and called me and was like Lakenn you know smoke coming from your house?” Lakenn Spady said.

Fire crews from Ayden, Red Oak, Winterville, and Winterville Community battled the blaze.

Five people lived in the home, including a three and a 12-year-old, according to Spady. Spady said he, his fiancé, and his fiancé’s mother were also in the home.

“I went outside, turned around, and saw smoke coming from the roof. So I ran back inside and woke everybody up and said grab what you can and get out of the house,” Spady said.

The man said they lost everything in the fire which he said was electrical and started in the attic.

“Everybody is okay, everybody survived. I mean the house is basically a total loss – they had to cut holes through the ceiling and the roof,” Spady said.

The American Red Cross is providing the family with temporary hotel accommodations.

The Ayden Fire Department says the fire was electrical and started in the attic.

“Red Cross hit me up and gave us some money for a hotel and everything. So right now we are in between the hotel and my family,” Spady said.

A GoFundMe has been started to help with all that was lost with a $10,000 goal.

Facebook